It is well established that DHT is a major player in hair loss. Androstenedione is also a significant contributor to hair loss(according to Dr. Peter Proctor and many others) and rarely if ever goes accounted for in the treatment process.
Oral Androstenedione was briefly in the 90’s vogue in the bodybuilding community until it was banned in 2004. It was also found out that “Andro” converted heavily to estrogen and was better at growing breasts than muscle. Worse yet it caused hair to fall out in the vast majority of users.
Here’s a excerpt from Dr. Sahelian on Androstenedione.
Androstenedione Side effects
“Androstenedione can have androgenic side effects that include acne, scalp hair loss, facial hair growth in women, aggressiveness, and irritability. Chronic use can also raise levels of estrogen, something that could lead to enlarged breasts and an increased risk of certain types of cancer. Prostate enlargement could be a concern in older men. Long-term androstenedione side effects with regular use for months or years are currently not fully known.”
Even though Andro supplementation was established to cause hair loss, naturally occurring endogenous androstenedione still looms significant in the hair loss equation.
Accounting for (down regulation of) endogenous androstenedione will yield significantly better results than using a “DHT only” approach, which is what one does when one uses Propecia or Avodart.
Reducing endogenous levels of Androstenedione is fairly easy to accomplish using enterolactone precursors flax meal lignans (3 plus tablespoons daily),ActiFlax (flax lignan extract) or HMRLIGNAN-a Norway Spruce lignan extract.
A number of studies show that an increase in estrogen in aging men is implicated in the development of belly fat, prostate cancer and androgenetic alopecia. Enterolactone also inhibits the aromatase enzyme that is responsible for converting testosterone into estradiol (a potent estrogen). Men often take expensive aromatase inhibiting drugs (such as Arimidex) to neutralize the sexual and estrogenic side effects of Propecia and Avodart. By inhibiting the aromatase enzyme with enterolactone precursors, men can reduce levels of excess estrogen in a health promoting manner at a fraction of the cost.
Enterolactone accomplishes all this by inhibiting the enzymes called 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases, which are androstenedione precursors and responsible for the conversion of estrone (E1) into estradiol (E2). Like a natural form of Propecia or Avodart,the enterolactones have also been shown to inhibit 5 alpha reductase, thus reducing levels of DHT. The two most potent lignans that readily convert to beneficial enterolactones in the body are obtained from flaxmeal and extracts of the Norway Spruce.
Those who have been using our Natural Prostate Formula to inhibit DHT binding and reduce excess estrogen via several mechanisms will now be obtaining an additional standardized blend of these enterolactone precursors at absolutely no additional cost.
Ultra Natural Prostate with 5-Loxin® and Standardized Lignans
Ultra Natural Prostate Formula contains the most scientifically substantiated nutrients to help protect the prostate gland and maintain its healthy function.
The latest ingredients are standardized lignans from flax and Norway spruce trees that provide the beneficial metabolite enterolactone. Published studies have demonstrated antiestrogen and anti-DHT effects of enterolactones that are of particular importance to the prostate gland. 1-3
The eight other active ingredients in the new Ultra Natural Prostate Formula are:
- 5-LOXIN™ boswellia extract. Published studies show that normal aging and poor diet cause levels of a dangerous enzyme (5-lipoxygenase) to increase, which can affect prostate cells. A patented extract from the boswellia plant, 5-LOXIN™ has been shown to suppress 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) and other proinflammatory factors.4-8
- Nettle root extract (Urtica dioica) to help protect hair against the excess estrogen levels so frequently seen in aging men.11
- Saw palmetto extract to interfere with DHT binding at receptor sites, and help control inflammatory actions.
- Pygeum to enhance healthy prostaglandin function, which helps with hair growth.
- Beta-sitosterol to provide the most active constituent in pygeum.
- Cernitin®-counteract DHT, and help regulate inflammatory reactions.
- Boron to slow elevation of PSA and protect against protein-degrading enzymes in the prostate gland.
- Lycopene to help maintain healthy DNA gene function in prostate cells.